As the holidays approach, your calendar may be filling up fast. All the Christmas-shopping and gift-wrapping can leave you with little time to prepare for holiday hosting. There are many ways to be a great host, but we’ve created a list of things you may have overlooked in planning a safe, comfortable, and above-all memorable party.
Here’s what every host needs to know to throw a stress-free soiree this holiday season.
Prep Now, Stress Never
Begin planning before life gets busy. The holidays can be hectic, with school concerts, recitals, staff Christmas parties, volunteering, and family gatherings leaving little to no time to organize.
- Send out your invites now! Sending out invitations early also allows your guests to plan ahead and mark the date in their calendars before they fill up.
- Two weeks before the gathering, you should follow up with guests who have yet to confirm. You should also ensure your home is ready for visitors. Do you have enough coat hangers and place settings?
- On the days leading up to your event, be sure to plan a menu, clean your home, and do the grocery haul. That way, once the special day comes around, you won’t be joining crowds of holiday shoppers as they swarm the grocery stores.
Make Sure Your Home is Welcoming
Make sure your home is welcoming to everyone, including those with allergies and environmental sensitives. Be prepared by asking your guests in advance if they have any allergies that you should be aware of and can accommodate to.
Ventilators, humidifiers, and purifiers all help to ensure the air you’re breathing at home is the best quality possible. When preparing for a big holiday get-together, make sure you have some type of air purification installed.
A proper air filtration system is one of the most important aspects of indoor air quality. Air purifiers remove unwanted particles from the air, which is especially important during cold and flu season. An air filtration system will also protect your furnace and HVAC system by keeping them working at high efficiency and saving you money in energy costs.
Create a Comfortable Atmosphere for Guests
Air quality is important, but so is a cozy and inviting home. It’s part of hosting the perfect holiday party that surely does not go unnoticed by guests.
One of the best ways to ensure a comfortable and relaxing space is a cozy fireplace: equal parts heat source and fond gathering place. While wood stoves offer an authentic feel, gas fireplaces offer the same benefits at the click of a button.
To ensure your fireplace is safe:
- Have your fireplace serviced and the chimney cleaned frequently.
- Schedule an annual fireplace inspection with a professional.
- Keep stockings, blankets and other holiday décor away from the fireplace.
Set the Scene
Now for the fun part! Don’t underestimate the power of ambiance.
- Set up a hot cocoa bar and drape doors and entryways with lights. There’s nothing more enchanting than the glow of Christmas lights.
- Go with a well-mixed playlist with a variety of musical genres that suits the space.
- Win over your guests with a festive scent. Create a seasonal essential oil blend using cinnamon, peppermint, clove and orange, or opt for a festive spicy scented candle to tap into your guest’s olfactory systems. Just make sure the scent isn’t too strong and that it is as natural as possible.
Prepare for Overnight Guests
You may have planned for overnight guests, or your guests may be forced to spend the night due to weather. Either way, you’ll want to make sure your fridge is stocked just in case.
If you plan on having overnight guests for the holidays, consider upgrading to a tankless water heater – this guarantees you’ll never run out of hot water again. You won’t have to worry about the poor person last in line for the bathroom ending up with a cold shower.
Another tip for a cozy space? Pile on the bedding.
Ready for the Holidays?
In the last few moments before the guests arrive, light some candles, pour yourself a cocktail and take a few moments to yourself. Planning a holiday party shouldn’t feel overwhelming and stressful – it should be fun and exciting! By preparing early, and following your holiday party checklist, you’ll be sure to enjoy the party as much as your guests.
Don’t hesitate to contact us for a last-minute duct cleaning, fireplace fix or furnace tune-up. Our technicians are on call 24/7 throughout the year, even on Christmas Day!